Scammers are always looking for a way to con innocent, hard-working people out of their money. Con artists tend to prey on the most vulnerable – including struggling homeowners at risk of foreclosure and those who are facing a mountain of credit card and consumer debt. Currently, people are falling for an array of loan modification and credit repair or credit solution scams. We have unfortunately often encountered honest homeowners victimized by these modification and credit solution scams.
Loan modification scammers may charge large upfront fees and do nothing to actually save your home or seek options and solutions which may be available. Opportunistic companies may market themselves as foreclosure, mortgage or loan modification consultants or negotiators, but offer no real services and in fact such activities are criminal in nature and violate your rights. Out of state attorneys in Florida and California seeking radio and television promotions advertising to help you are immediate danger signs. Some other warning signs to watch out for include:
- Guarantees. No one can promise to stop your home from entering foreclosure. Be wary of a company or person who “guarantees” to save your home.
- Advanced fees. Any “loan modification company” seeking up front fees from you is a criminal act and under no circumstances should you be tricked into paying those fees.
- High-pressure tactics. Some scammers might try to pressure you into signing documents you don’t understand or even sign over the deed to your home.
- “Government approved” organizations. There are government assistance programs for homeowners, but you do not have to pay to benefit from them.
- Specific scams. There are some specific scams out there- lease-back or repurchase scams, partial interest bankruptcy scams and refinance scams. Never apply for loans over the phone or Internet.
- Upfront financial information. Be cautious of divulging private financial information to someone you don’t know.
Your best bet is to hire reputable Long Island loan modification attorneys to handle your case. Remember, if it seems “too good to be true,” it probably is.
Trust Rubin & Licatesi with your loan modification needs. Our attorneys can offer you sound and well proven financial advocacy and advice. Your Banks have attorneys and so should you.